Saturday, October 31, 2009

Pumpkin Allergy

I think my son has developed a pumpkin allergy. He got itchy, watery eyes when I burned a pumpkin spice candle and said he was itchy all over. He carved a pumpkin at school and his hands got itchy. We made pumpkin cupcakes last night. I let him taste the batter and his throat got itchey. The odors made his eyes itchy just like the candle. I'm so sad. His favorite part of the holidays is the pumpkin pies. He also loves pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. I feel really sad for him. He was crying last night because he is sad he won't be ableto have any pumpkin pie. That is the only reason he eats Thanksgiving dinner-I won't let him have any pie until he eats something good. Poor kid.

5 comments:

famr_4evr said...

That is the saddest thing ever. As bad as a chocolate allergy. Poor guy. Hopefully it is just a fluke.

Savannah D said...

I just wanted to add that my daughter (11) was just cleaning out a pumpkin to carve and her hand turned all red, got a little swollen, the red rash went deep into her skin. It happened very quickly and got worse and worse. I had her stop immediately and we washed her hands thoroughly. They remained red and sore and the sores turned into scabs by the next day and her hands felt very dry and rough. All I can imagine is that she had an allergic reaction. Do we try ingesting pumpkins or leave them alone?! We have eaten pumpkins in different recipies. Is it different when it is cooked?

Momof3 said...

Savannah, my son's reactions weren't that severe. I wouldn't dare test anymore with your daughter. I would get her into the dooctor and see if she needs an epi pen. That is a very acute reaction. I would be curious to see what your doctor says.

concered parent said...

I also wanted to add that my 5 year old son has a severe allergy to pumkin. We can not ever go any where that pumpkins have been until it is aired out for at least one to two days. The last couple of years he would just get a red rash, and his Dr. at the time said he was not have is a reaction. Well we have recently took him to a new Asthma/Allergy Dr. and he said that more that likely he was having a reaction to the pumpkins. So to totally keep him away from them. Well it just so happens that his class was taking a field trip the following week to a pumpkin patch. Well to make a long story short his teacher allowed him back in the room when his class got back for just 5 minutes and by the time I got him home he was breaking out with hives. So I call his Dr. and done what he told us to do. About 3 hours later my husband noticed that his neck was very tight. So we upped his breathing treatments and had a very scary night. The next morning when I got my son to the Dr. he was still in anaphylactic shock. So I urge any parent to not take any food allergy lightly!! My husband and I the ones who did take is serious, but my son's school did not take is that way. So I urge all of you parents on here to watch for the signs.

concered parent said...

I for got also. In my family we could not carve pumkins, but we did not miss out on carving fun we carved watermelons! Now that was a lot of fun and we had all kinds of watermelon after it was done.