Saturday, December 6, 2008

Nephew has Diabetes

My mom has type 2 diabetes. She has been periodically checking my nephews blood sugar. My nephew is 10 years old. Yesterday, his blood sugar was over 600. Normal is 120 or below. Today, his fasting blood glucose was over 300. My sister took him to Primary Children's Medical Center and told them she thinks he has diabetes. She said the nurse looked at her like she didn't know what she was talking about. Their machine tests up to 700; his sugar level was so high it didn't register. Okay, he hasn't eaten anything for a few hours so that pretty much says he is diabetic. He will be in the hospital for 3 days so they can stabilize him and get his family educated on type 1 diabetes. Thank goodness it was discovered early enough he didn't get sick or anything. Thank goodness we know what to look for.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

How scary! I hope they are able to get it under control quickly.