Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Family Home Evening Kindness

Prayer
Scripture: Matthew 7:1
Song: Kindness Begins with Me. Children's Songbook page 145 (I'll Walk With You, pg 141, Jesus Said Love Everyone, pg 61 would also be good songs)
Thought/Poem:
Hugs PoemAuthor: Shel Silverstein
I will not play at tug o'war.
I'd rather play at hug o'war.
Where everyone hugs
Instead of tugs,
Where everyone giggles
And rolls on the rug.
Where everyone kisses.A
nd everyone grins,
And everyone cuddles,
And everyone wins.

Lesson: Have you ever noticed how often we treat others better than our own families? I have noticed that my son will yell at his sisters but not at his friends. I have noticed that my daughter will play nicely with her friends but will get angry when her sister wants to play. Ihave noticed that I will sometimes get angry with my children when I'm in a bad mood but pretend to be in a good mood if a friend drops by. Why do we do that? I think maybe its because we want other to think kind things about us but think "my family has to love me anyway." I wonder if we forget the eternal nature of our family. I am so grateful that my family will be an eternal family . We decided as a family to think about what we say before we say it or do it. If it will hurt someone or make them feel bad or cry or scream, we won't do it. (Its been hard for the children but it's only been a couple days)
For our activity, we played Friendly Frogs. It's from Finch Family Games but I'm not sure which volume. My son has been asking to play it for about a month. Everone receives a frog with a pocket. Everone gets 5 flies to start. As you go around the board you collect and lose flies depending on what is on the space you land on. The children asked to play it muliple times.
Closing Prayer
Refreshments: We had Peanut Butter Fingers

1 comment:

Aunt Suzi Quilts said...

I love this FHE!! I had forgotten about it. Maybe I should pull it out and see if it helps the kids be more kind to each other.